Saturday, November 16, 2013

Splash...There is Some Lemonade in Your Face!

Sometimes, life throws lemons at us and other times, it throws lemonade at us.... Yes, life can get a bit sticky!  My mom always taught me never to discuss politics, religion, or race.  But, I have found that not discussing these topics with friends and strangers leads to a pretty dull life. Sometimes, it is more fun to live outside the cultural "norms".  Yes, one has to be careful on what they state, to a certain extent.

Today, I was, once again, pleasantly surprised in a conversation with a friend of mine.  I have known him and his wife for about 2 years now, but we have never really gotten into politics before.  Our sons are inseparable, playing together every moment that they can.  Yet, in all that time, we have never really discussed politics.  I am not really sure why?  They know I write, wear my opinions on my sleeves and am not afraid to speak my opinion to anyone.  Since they had never made a comment on Facebook, Twitter, Google, or any other social media, I just assumed they had no interest in politics.


My friend, rather abruptly, asked me how my new blog was going.  I proceeded to let him know that it
was all so new that I still felt lost, but I was enjoying myself. Then he asked, "When are you going to start writing about all the great work of the Democrats?"  I was a little shell shocked, and to be honest, disappointed, as I would have never seen this coming from him or his family.   He then proceeded, "You know, Obamacare is really going to help this country and the uninsured."  I was speechless (which is incredibly rare).  My whole world just crashed down upon me.

I was absolutely dumbfounded; how could a guy who is so strict with his son, involved in the school, sports and every imaginable volunteer opportunity in the community possibly feel this way? Had I judged him and his family incorrectly?  No, that was NOT possible; his family ran a small business for decades together; they were church goers and strongly showed the belief that the bad things in life are not anyone else's fault but their own decisions.

"I am just shittin' you!" he finally laughed, unable to contain himself.  Oh yeah, did I mention this guy is more full of crap than anyone I know?  "I love all your posts and writing! I enjoy reading each and every one of them!" he continued.

I could only muster a "you suck!" With a big smile, of course!

He continued to explain that their family contains a bunch of extremely liberal members who would disown him and his family if they spoke up about politics in the social media sphere.  This part makes me sad but explains exactly why there are so many closet Conservatives.  After being called racist, homophobes, and every nasty thing the left can throw at us, even in the media, many people hide their true leanings.  Saul Alinsky was right about this approach and the left has mastered silencing the opponent.


Enough about the lemons, back to the lemonade. While he cannot express his support for me publicly, at least I know it between us.  Isn't that enough for us?  While I don't agree with being silenced, I can understand when it comes to family.  That is a battle for Conservatives who value our families greatly; we are careful how we treat them and sometimes this means silencing ourselves.  My former friend, and now buddy has a new place in my heart; he just motivated me to keep speaking up for people like him that have been silenced by their situation (it is quite complex).  To you, my readers, I encourage to speak out; don't let others hold you back.  Your lemonade is out there, it may just take time to find it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment