Thursday, November 28, 2013

Giving Thanks

rockwell-thanksgivingAs Americans, we take much pride in our country's heritage.  Yes, we have made some major errors along the way.  But, I view this much like parenting; there isn't a perfect guide on how to run a country, just mistakes made by previous governments to avoid. Thus, why history is such an important element in a free country such as ours.  Today, on Thanksgiving, we celebrate the history of our country.  We give thanks for that which we have accomplished and keep in mind the mistakes we have made along the way.
It is truly a day for celebration; a day to remember how lucky we are to live in a free society. One which allows people like myself to express their opinions freely, without repercussion; except the opposing viewpoint which can get nasty from time to time.  I celebrate this freedom to speak out, share, and collaborate with like-minded people.  This right, which we all possess, is the greatest right we have maintained throughout our country's storied past.  I celebrate this every day, through online and personal conversation.
We are not an oppressed people, we are free.  We have oppressed individuals in our own country in the past, yet we long to never repeat our history.  We strive to be mindful of that history and work to keep all people free, regardless of race, sex, creed, religion, or national origin.  Freedom means so many things to every person.  I especially concentrate on my freedom of speech and religion and politics.  Others may concentrate on the freedom of press or other expression.
It is through this Freedom that we share our ideas, thoughts, dreams and hopes for our country, ourselves, and those who surround us.
Freedom allows me to say that I appreciate all people and their ideas.  Yet, I don't have to agree with you and will not always.  Nor do you have any responsibility to agree with me.  I only seek that you stand beside me to uphold these Freedoms we hold dear to our hearts. And, on days like today, you celebrate alongside me and everyone else to give thanks for our country.  I appreciate that we can put politics aside and agree, for one day, we are all thankful.
Happy Thanksgiving, God bless, and good night.  I must go sleep off all the turkey, stuffing, potatoes, pumpkin pie, and some wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment